Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mo's Momma's Chicken Thing

I'm not a cook. I actually prefer to not cook but I do have a few dishes that I can make that don't gross people out.

Some people have referred to this tortilla casserole thing that I make as King Ranch Chicken but as far as I am concerned, this is my mom's chicken thing.

I can tell you how to make it but this isn't a real recipe. It is a "throw-a-bunch-of-stuff-together-and-cover-it-with-cheese" kind of thing.

Here is what you need (roughly):
1 casserole dish
1 package of boneless chicken thighs or breasts
2 cans of Cream of Celery soup
Tons of shredded cheese
At least one package of thin, corn tortillas
2 cans of Rotel
1 can of Black Beans

Cook your chicken (fry it, grill it, bake it, BBQ it, whatever...) and chop it/tear it into small, bite sized pieces. Set aside in a bowl. Throw the condensed soup along with 2 cans of water into a pot and turn on the heat. You can just heat the tortillas in a microwave but I prefer to toast them over the gas flame on my stove. I swear this dish tastes better when you burn the tortillas over an open flame just a little bit. After you toast a tortilla, dip it into the soup to soak it and then place it in the corner of the casserole dish. Continue toasting and dipping tortillas until you have lined the bottom of the dish. Then spread out a layer of chicken, the Rotel and black beans. Season to taste. I use Nature's Seasoning. Then spread out a layer of shredded cheese. I usually pour a little of the soup over this layer and then place another layer of toasted and souped tortillas over that. If you have a shallow pan one layer should do the trick but you can continue creating layers until you run out of ingredients. For the final layer I pour on more cheese.

Since everything is cooked you can eat this right away but I prefer to let this bake in the oven at 250 degrees for about an hour.

I recommend that you let this dish cool slowly and then pop into the fridge to be re-heated and eaten the next day.  It tastes so much better after it has been refrigerated. Plus, I like having dinner waiting for me and The Beavis.

This is my "I need to bring a dish to a party" dish and it seems to be well liked. If I don't bring this over on Thanksgiving my father-in-law freaks out.

No comments:

Post a Comment