Monday, September 26, 2011

Recycled Posters

I mentioned in a previous post that I have tons of wall space and not a lot of art. Well, I'm working on it!

Gear!
The Beavis is such a huge Beatles fan so I thought he would appreciate the Fab Four watching over us in our living room. He had this huge Beatles poster that hung in his room during high school and college. It's been rolled up in a tube for many years. I hated to let it go to waste so this is what I came up with.

I'm thinking these boards need frames to make them pop a little more

I love the look of collages, especially the way advertising posters get torn up and pasted over each other. I wanted to do something like that so I took the original poster, cut it up and applied it to decorated canvas boards. It was super cheap and easy!




I picked up some canvas boards and did a little sponge painting with whatever acrylic paints I had around the house. The sunburst motif was added with a stencil and spray paint. Then I doodled over the top with a Sharpie.

Snip, snip to the poster and throw on the Modge Podge. My finished posters have a warped, air-bubble effect which I was fine with. I've heard that if you don't want your decoupaged pieces to look warped that you should soak the paper in water before applying to the surface. Also, make sure to apply the adhesive to the front and the back of the paper.

The other walls in the room are getting some love too.


 
The giant clock was a P.I.T.A. to hang. Just ask Beavis. And guess what? The battery just died. It is now perpetually 8PM.

2 comments:

  1. looks great! love the canvas treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo!
    This is Jenny - commenting as the sewvac...
    I saw these when you 1st posted about them and have thought of them several times since. So, I thought I'd come back and say, "Hey, Mo! You did a really great job! These look very cool!" Because, they do! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete